Dec 29, 2008

Why I Learned to Knit, ahem, Crochet

As part of the Ravelry Warm Ewe Up Winter Yarn Swap, we must blog at least once every other week. To help the blog-shy along, our swap coordinators have thoughtfully provided thought-provoking questions that we can answer on our blog.

Question # 1 asks, "why did I learn to knit?" Hmmmm, knit? But I crochet! Almost exclusively! But admittedly, I do knit, a bit, and just well enough to guide my 15-year old and 13-year old nieces along their knitting journey.

Ok, so why did I learn to knit? I learned as a 10-year old Junior Girl Scout where I earned my knitting badge. We're talking about the 60s now. Too many years ago and so many memories. Today's Girl Scouts don't even have a knitting badge; rather girls earn the Yarn and Fabric Arts badge, which is a sampler of knitting, crochet, macrame, cross-stitch, quilting, textiles, and other yarn and fabric crafts. Don't get me wrong; I think girls should be exposed to many different types of crafts, but not in a single six-activity badge. This cursory sampling just seems to reinforce what I see as a lack of attention span in many children today.
Okay, rant over. I picked up knitting needles again almost two years ago while watching Vicki Howell on the Knitty Gritty. Loved the show. Simple hats and scarves are the extent of my knitting repertoire.

As I said, I can knit, a bit, although I much, much, much prefer to crochet. Nothing personal, just my cup of tea. Why I learned to crochet is covered in my first blog.

No comments: