Jul 26, 2008

Twilight's a-Comin'

Twilight -- the books and movie -- seems to be on everyone's mind, at least with most of the teenage girls I know. They]ve started to call themselves Twilighters. Hah! What was old is new again.

Twilight, for those of you blissfully unaware or unfamiliar with the saga of teenagers Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, and Jacob Black, you obviously don't have a life-- I'm quoting one of the Twilighters skulking in my house. In the past year, I have learned a lot about the first three books and I haven't even read them. One can learn a lot by just hangin' on the periphery, chauffering Scouts to events, challenging them to a game of Guesstures, and hosting sleepovers. The Twilight series is the story of Bella, who moves to the small town outside of Seattle. At school, she wonders about a group of five beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns they are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. Jacob, who also has fallen for Bella, is one of a group of werewolves who protect the forest and who are mortal enemies of the vampires. Of course, Jacob and Edward clash. So what else is new in a teen novel. With all this erotic blood lust, I'm just a bit surprised that this book falls in the 12 and older group. I think 14 and older is more appropriate.

I joined the Twilight Knitting Swap on Ravelry.com so that I could learn more about the book, as well as to get to know more folks on Ravelry. The Swap, my first ever, has paired me with a young woman who, surprisingly, several years ago, used to live on my very same street, albeit about 3 miles down the road. Now in Indiana, she is a member of the Vampire coven. I chose to hang with the Wolf pack because all the Twilighters are quite ga-ga over Edward and Jasper, another vamp. Me, I think someone should play the devil’s advocate (no pun intended). Besides, I realize that I have kept a handcarved ironwood wolf on my desk for more than 13 years. How prophetic.

The SWAP requires that I send a knitted or sewn bag in my partner’s team colors, a pattern with yarn in my partner’s team colors required to complete a small project, and stitch markers in my partner’s team colors. A bag! A knittted bag! Well, first things first. The bag won't be knitted. I want it to be good so obviously knitting is out. My knitting skills are abysmal -- I can work it straight enough for a sweater but a bag, something with curves, and any other special stitches are way over my head. I've been able to settle on a pattern and yarn for the small project. I've even managed to find a few other goodies. But selecting the bag has been a bitch. I spent the past two weeks trying to figure out just what kind of crocheted bag would be perfect for a knitter. A simple tote, a clutch, a purse. Nothing seemed right.


Checking my stash, I found my Gjestal Baby Bomull, a fingering weight cotton yarn in crimson red, royal blue, and yellow gold. Perfect match for the Coven's colors. I thought, a colorful market bag that has a variety of uses. I began to work it up -- what you see is the bottom of the bag. But something just wasn't cutting it. So, this now moves to my WIP pile -- work in progress. This bag will still be done but not for the swap.

I toyed with Tunisian, one of my favorite forms of crochet. But I can't find my tunisian hooks. Just too many totes to look through. You ought to see my room. Actually, I wouldn't want you to see it. I don't buy shoes but I do seem to collect tote bags to put projects in -- Girl Scouts, crochet, magazines, genealogy, unwanted bills, etc. So Tunisian is out. Late last night it hit me -- the perfect pattern so I bought the yarn today on my lunch break. Of course, I can't tell you anything about it, other than it's colors are black and red. I hope it works out. You'll just have to wait.

In the meantime, Breaking Dawn, Book 4 in this saga, is due August 2 and I have been volunteered to take four Twilighters to a Border's release party. I will be bringing my Twilight SWAP project with me to keep me occupied.

No comments: